Tuesday, September 1, 2015

a short (drunk) one act play.

Scene: Sammy's place, where she has been cleaning up trash in anticipation of an undesired visit from contracted cleaners who are going to clean vents.

The bugs:

Dear Samantha fair, who lives above us,
Tell us what sin we hath perpetrated,
Such that on these days you tear down our houses,
Anguish our children, and cast out your friends?

Samantha:

Dude, wait, what?  When last have you paid me rent?
Or fucking tidied up the tiniest,
Of this apartment in which we do dwell,
I mean, you're kind of just fucking slackers.

The bugs:

But Samantha, we had a deal set fast
In stone,

Samantha:

                 What no?  Since when did we deal such?

The bugs:

Since we have forgiven you many sins?

Samantha:

What sins do you lie at my feet tonight?

The bugs:

Do you remember the one named Bob?

Samantha:

Bob?  What name is that, that I should recall?

The bugs:

Do you remember the candle you lit,
All aglow with its shining luminence?

Samantha:

Many candles have I lit.  Many more
Have I extinguished.  You speak of one though?

The bugs:

Do you recall the tweezers?  Gripping strong?

Samantha:

And the candle?  Shall I forget that now?

The bugs:

Bob was slack that day.  You caught him up fast.

Samantha:

Did I then?  To what purpose this action?

The bugs:

To carry him, struggling, to the fire's maw.

Samantha:

Alight, then, I set him?  To burn for sins?

The bugs:

What sins, awful tyrant?  What have we done?

Samantha:

Sins of contamination.  Sins of greed.
You have made my home your nest, and ruled there;
Set yourself as a rapacious lord there,
And smuggled my bounty for your gain,
                                                                     Where,
Should I have been better at management,
Your children would have starv-ed in the womb,
And your wives widowed and barren till death,
And all your works burned and broken forever,
Your lives wasted in the pursuit of death.

1 comment:

  1. "Bob? What Bob is this? Should I know this, Bob?
    Was he a hero for the people here?
    Or was he just a knave of the gutters?"

    i'm pretty sure i'm fucking the meter up a lot on many of these lines.

    ReplyDelete