Friday, March 30, 2018

Rachael notes

sorry i spoiled a story that's pretty old.



Rachael Ross.  i'd read some of her stuff ages ago, but only remembered a few bits.  there's a story where a girl drinks piss from her college roommate and friends, there's one where a cop goes undercover as a school girl to catch and calls her partner mom, and one where a dog takes over and won't let the main character do things it doesn't want, and i knew there were more.


and then i found Dare.  it is without a doubt, the best story i've ever read.  just a fantastic piece of fiction.  so, if you've read my story, you know what i did.  i sent her an email saying that, and after a few days, i did some more research online.  part of it was that i wanted to see if i could find more stories that she didn't have in her archive (like that cop one above), and i found this.

i had to write this story, i think.  it came to me, pretty much complete, while i was in the shower this morning.  it's rare now for me to get things like that, so when it happens, you know?

goodbye Rachael.  i'm sorry i never told you how cool i think your stories are.  i wish i could have read many more stories that you never got to write.

--

"dare"

hi,

i don't know if you still check this address, or if you even care, but i finally finished "dare", and i had to send a message.  i've read a bunch of your stories over the years, and finding your archive gave me a chance to catch up on some i had missed.  i read book one awhile ago, and when i got to the first chapter of book two, i was so angry that i closed the tab and stopped.  the death was so unexpected and painful that i just couldn't take it.

but the story stuck with me, and has been bothering me ever since.  "read it again from the beginning, and just keep going.  she's not going to leave it sad.  just trust her," i told myself.  so i did.  and the end result was me crying in the middle of every damn chapter of book two.  now my eyes are puffy and my nose is stuffed up from off and on crying for more than an hour.

thank you so much for this story.  it is one of the greatest things i have ever read.  you don't seem to be updating, and i don't know if that means you don't care about any of this, but after that emotional reaction, i needed to say something.

thank you again,
samantha

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sammy... I'm a (not so) silent observer.

    There was a skip of my heart when I saw a new blog entry. Reading The Exhibition: Rachael, the story left me feeling anxious, wondering what it meant. I read this entry, and the sadness quickly made sense of it.

    I didn't know of RR before today, and reading her last post from Feb '12 is as inspiring as it is saddening. I only hope I'm able to sign off my final message to the world as perfectly.

    I'm interested to read the story that moved you to write what you did and ultimately end up here. I'll start reading Dare unless theres somewhere else you think I should start?

    hugs. x

    ILA3 @ MOTLES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd start with Dare. it's long, and it might not work for everybody, but i haven't cried while reading any other story ever.

      i still haven't read everything. she wrote a lot of stuff. the ones i linked to are favorites that are in the soup of remembered stories. i can only hope that i can write things as well as she did.

      Delete